1. Home
  2. Search
  3. Fulltext search
  4. Browse
  5. Recent Items rss
  6. Publish

Przyczynek do biografii Jana de Witte

Krasny, Piotr

English Title: A contribution to the biography of Jan de Witte

In: Biuletyn Historii Sztuki, 57 (1995), Nr. 3-4. pp. 295-297

[img]
Preview
PDF, Polish
Download (328kB) | Terms of use

For citations of this document, please do not use the address displayed in the URL prompt of the browser. Instead, please cite with one of the following:

Translation of abstract (English)

Jan de Witte (1709-1785) occupies an important place in the history of Polish architecture as the creator of the Dominican Church in L’vov and a number of other distinguished buildings in the crown lands of Ruthenia. However, part of his artistic output has not been identified. A letter written by de Witte, discovered at the Wawel State Archives in Krakow, has provided information on the architect's presence in Chortkov (Czortkow), Kshivchi (Krzywczy) and Kupin in Podolia in the year 1763. In the first of these two towns it would seem likely that de Witte was responsible for extensions made to the castles belonging to the Potocki family, while in Kupin he ran the "factory" in the monastery and church of the Barefooted Carmelites. The castles were to unfortunately fall into a state of dilapidation, while the monasterial complex at Kupin was destroyed by the Soviet authorities.

Document type: Article
Version: Secondary publication
Date Deposited: 11 Jan 2011 18:07
Faculties / Institutes: Research Project, Working Group > Individuals
DDC-classification: Architecture
Controlled Subjects: Witte, Jan de (Architekt), Ukraine, Architektur, Geschichte 1763
Subject (classification): Artists, Architects
Countries/Regions: East Europe
Collection: ART-Dok Central and Eastern Europe