1. Home
  2. Search
  3. Fulltext search
  4. Browse
  5. Recent Items rss
  6. Publish

Kaplica Kaufmanów w wieży południowej kościoła Mariackiego w Krakowie (XVI-XVII w.). Na granicy przestrzeni publicznej i prywatnej miasta

Żmudziński, Jerzy

English Title: The Kaufman chapel in the south tower of St. Mary’s church in Krakow (16th-17th century). At the meeting point of the town’s public and private space

In: Nowacki, Dariusz (Hrsg.): Mecenat artystyczny a oblicze miasta [Materiały LVI Ogólnopolskiej Sesji Naukowej Stowarzyszenia Historyków Sztuki, Kraków 8-10 XI 2007]. Krakau 2008, pp. 33-55

[img]
Preview
PDF, Polish
Download (14MB) | Terms of use

For citations of this document, please do not use the address displayed in the URL prompt of the browser. Instead, please cite with one of the following:

Translation of abstract (English)

The Kaufman chapel is located on the second storey of the south tower – the bell tower – of St. Mary’s church. Two aristocratic Krakow families were responsible for its construction: when it was built at the beginning of the 16th century and then when it was modified at the beginning of the 17th century. Its first founder was the wealthy merchant Pawel Kaufman, who financed the building of the chapel in 1522. The chapel was consecrated for the second time in 1614 when it was owned by the Montelupi family. It contains a staircase leading from the graveyard to the chapel; an external gallery; the chapel itself in the tower; a passageway within the church at the end of the south aisle with access to the chapel and a staircase leading from that passageway into the church’s interior. The chapel’s character is complemented by Renaissance decoration by sculptors who were working on the decoration of the Sigismund chapel at the Wawel Cathedral under the direction of Bartolommeo Berrecci. The chapel used to contain a painted altarpiece by Michael Lancz of Kitzingen dating from 1522 which disappeared during the Second World War and has been replaced by a copy. At the beginning of the 17th century murals covering the vaulting and paintings – possibly by Tommasso Dolabella – were added. The chapel was a private oratory although some architectural details were deliberately placed on the outside to make them visible to all. It was a kind of demonstration as these detaiIs marked the first presence of Renaissance features in bourgeois Krakow, The Kaufman chapel is thus an example of a building at the meeting point of private and public space in the town. Owing to such building projects the character of Krakow began its transformation from medieval to Renaissance.

Document type: Book Section
Version: Secondary publication
Date Deposited: 26 Sep 2011 15:11
Faculties / Institutes: Research Project, Working Group > Individuals
DDC-classification: Architecture
Controlled Subjects: Krakau / Marienkirche, Architektur
Subject (classification): Architecture
Countries/Regions: East Europe
Collection: ART-Dok Central and Eastern Europe