Electronic Publishing at HeiDOK
HeiDOK gives you the opportunity to submit your electronic publications via an upload form to the document server. Details about the upload process are described in the following text. You will find more information on the legal and technical requirements under Jur. Issues and Frequently Asked Questions.
Who can publish in HeiDOK? Which publications are accepted?
As a member of Heidelberg University you can deposit your scientific publication in HeiDOK (e.g. journal article, monograph, review, etc.) or university publication (PhD, post-doctoral thesis, bachelor's or master's thesis, diploma thesis), presentation, report, etc. In the case of dissertations, please note the special regulations.
Documents of a strongly ephemeral character such as conference or lecture announcements are excluded. The disciplinary repositories ART-Dok, Propylaeum-DOK and SavifaDok, also run by Heidelberg University Library, provide scientists worldwide with the opportunity to make their publications in the field of history of art, classical studies and South Asian studies available in electronic form and according to the principles of Open Access.
What rights do I need?
It is a requirement that you have all necessary rights for publication on the Internet (further information can be found under Jur. Issues). During the upload process confirmation of this fact is required.
With an OA publication you support the goal of giving access to scientific literature and material on the Internet free of charge, i.e. with no financial, technical or legal barriers. All publications or documents with restrictions on access are therefore excluded. Also excluded are documents where commercial interests, be it on the part of the author or a third party, are opposed to free access on the Internet. Please do not use any techniques for Digital Rights Management (DRM) and make sure that the archive file is DRM-free (more under Open Access).
What file formats are supported?
The file formats that are currently supported by HeiDOK are PDF (preferred format), PostScript and AVI, QuickTime, WindowsMedia (for videos). Further information can be found at FAQ.
How can I deposit a publication?
When depositing your publication please use the upload form. You can stop the publication process at any time by clicking on Save and continue later without losing any data.
- After the login you can manage your deposits. Please click on New Item.
- Please select the appropriate item type and click on Next.
- Please fill out all fields marked with an asterisk. We encourage you to also consider the translation of the title and of the abstract. Then click on Next or on the tab Faculty / Institute.
- Please select an institute / an institution. You can also select several institutes / institutions. Then please click on Next or on the tab Subjects.
- Now please select the appropriate category (Dewey Decimal Classification). You can also choose normalized and free keywords. Then click on Next or the tab Upload.
- Here please upload the text file. We recommend PDF, PostScript, AVI, QuickTime and Windows Media. After the successful upload the size of the uploaded file is displayed. Please also note Language, license etc., where you can describe the document in detail or where you can choose a creative commons license for your file(s).
- In the next step the license agreement and release conditions are displayed. By setting the checkmark, you agree with the listed rights.
After publication, you will soon find your document in HEIDI, the catalogue for the libraries of Heidelberg University, as well as in HeiDOK.