1. Home
  2. Search
  3. Fulltext search
  4. Browse
  5. Recent Items rss
  6. Publish

Renesansowy kościół w Dobromilu i jego związki z architekturą mazowiecką

Krasny, Piotr

English Title: The Renaissance church at Dobromil and its links with Mazovian architecture

In: Biuletyn Historii Sztuki, 57 (1995), Nr. 3-4. pp. 271-282

[img]
Preview
PDF, Polish
Download (10MB) | Terms of use

For citations of this document, please do not use the address displayed in the URL prompt of the browser. Instead, please cite with one of the following:

Translation of abstract (English)

The parish church dedicated to the Transfiguration at Dobromil (Dobromil in the former Przemysl Province belonging to the Voivodship of Ruthenia and now in the West Ukraine) is one of a smali number of Renaissance temples raised in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The architectural forms of this church have nothing comparable in the architecture of Red Ruthenia (Czerwona Rus; Eastern Galicia), but reflect a clearly-defined similarity to solutions applied by Jan Baptysta, known as the Venetian and his workshop in the group of churches raised in Mazovia during the period 1547-1570 (Pultusk, Brok, Brochow, Glogowiec, Ciekszyn, Chruslin and Sobota). The church at Dobromil resembles the temples in these Mazovian settlements in the construction of its nave and presbytery (piles raised from the walls and supporting unsegmented arched vaulting), the decoration of the vaulting surfaces with flat, interweaving fillets remeniscent of netting as well as the shaping of the attic crowning the original facade. It may thus be assumed that this church is the work of the same workshop. The church’s precise date of construction is unknown. The Roman-Catholic parish of Dobromil was first established in 1531, but the original church was a wooden construction. It is probabIe that the brick and stone church was raised from the funds of Stanislaw Herburt, owner of Dobromil in the period 1546-1584, who also had built in the vicinity a Renaissance castle decorated, like the church, with a characteristic arcaded attic. It would seem probable that the church’s construction was begun in the 1566 when Dobromil was granted urban status. It is equally likely that the domed sepulchral chapel of the Herburt family, and connected to the nave from the south, was raised at the same time. The church’s facade was rebuilt in the first part of the 17th century (c. 1631- 36?), lending it a form characteristic of early Roman Baroque. A thorough renovation of the temple was carried out after 1743 under the auspices of the Blazej Krasinski foundation. During this work a second chapel dedicated to St Kinga was raised opposite the Herburt chapel as its analogy. This church’s plan thus took on the shape in modu crucis so popular in 18th century sacral architecture in the Przemysl diocese. These extensions did not seriously influence the interior plan and decoration which has retained its original, Renaissance character.

Document type: Article
Version: Secondary publication
Date Deposited: 03 Aug 2011 14:47
Faculties / Institutes: Research Project, Working Group > Individuals
DDC-classification: Architecture
Controlled Subjects: Dobromil, Kirchenbau, Architektur, Masowien
Subject (classification): Architecture
Countries/Regions: East Europe
Collection: ART-Dok Central and Eastern Europe